You can walk it in sections, you can walk it in groups. But from the experiences of those who have gone before you – the memories of friendships made, stories told, and spiritual rewards gained – you will find this a gift for life.
There are a number of groups who are involved with planning walks along the Pilgrim Trail. The first group to ever walk our Camino Salvado were from St Joseph’s Church in Subiaco. We regard the St Josephs Camino Salvado as being our foundation stone – in fact the Trail Head is located in the grounds of the Church in Salvado Road Subiaco. They run two walks a year – usually in August/September. These are supported walks and follow a route which has been adapted to their needs.****Please note that the trail they follow, whilst base on the Pilgrim Trail does differ in some areas. And book early because it is a very popular Camino Salvado. For further information their webpage is:
Inspiration Outdoors is another local walk group organiser. Click HERE for more information.
A group of intrepid women have also walked the trail. Their website is called
Should you wish to organize your own group, below is a list of things that may help you. It is by no means complete and each group will have their own special requirements. We add it merely as a list of ideas to help you make your experience special for you.
But before you set out on any trail walk, think about the risks that might crop up. So:
CAMINO SALVADO® -ITINERARY/CHECKLIST
- Book accommodation at New Norcia for the following year as required.
- Book Bus/coach transport to meet your needs. Remember that drivers will need to have appropriate licences.
- It’s a nice courtesy to contact Local Councils from Perth to New Norcia and advise of scheduled walk and request updates on any possible road works or path interferences around dates.
- The same goes for the Police and Main Roads to advise them of your walk plans – especially through Chittering Valley.
- Identify Bus Driver and Support Volunteers and confirm availability and dates available.
- Review Pilgrims numbers
- Send out Advert to any possible appropriate recipient groups
- Email application to DPaW-WA to walk through Walyunga Park. They need advanced warning of groups going through their jurisdiction as they carry out controlled burns from time to time and also do ariel bating for vermin too. They can advise then of alternative trails to use.
- Contact, State Equestrian Centre – good place for lunch day 2.
- Contact Stringy Bark Restaurant/Winery in the Chittering valley if you want to stop for coffee and scones on day 4.
- Start sourcing Bus Drivers and Support Drivers if not yet covered.
- Contact Bindoon Bakehaus to arrange lunches for Day 4 – if required
- Organise and Book Trailer for coach as required. Past experience has shown that a trailer is very handy for moving luggae when you have a full load on the coach.
- Send out First Newsletter to Walkers registered thus far (Those registering after this should be sent all Newsletters sent by that time).
- Schedule Meet and Greet for 2 weeks before walk departure and advise registered Walkers.
- Review numbers of registered walkers and review media options.
- Send out Second Newsletter to all Walkers.
- Purchase plastic sheets for Walkers and Name Tags (name tags to go into each pack with Name on it and State in corner).
- Confirm with, State Equestrian Centre, on dates, arrangements, and approximate arrival times.
- Finalise route and Maps with Directions to be ready for printing.
- Select/identify appropriate Leader for walk as necessary
- Contact all Walkers to confirm Pairings for couples and friends sharing rooms, dietry REQUIREMENTS, Telstra Mobile Numbers, Emergency Contact Name and Number etc. and additional guest staying in New Norica (suggest this should be limited to 1 additional guest booked per person as accommodation numbers are limited). Will need to collect this information before Meet and Greet to enable time to put details together and send out in time.
- Confirm Bus and Trailer and finalise amounts due. Contact Treasurer to make payments
- Confirm final numbers (number confirmation, matches, and meal requirements to be finalised 2 weeks before departure and emailed/faxed through to accommodation and meal providers – telephone first to let them know) with accommodation providers.
- Host Meet and Greet to advise Walkers of last minute details, enable questions, and opportunity for face-to-face meet before departure – (organise biscuits and tea and coffee to be provided between Committee).
- Send out 3rd and final Newsletter to Walkers.
- Meet with Bus and Support Drivers to go over the week and details. Include how money to be provided and additional receipts to be given to Treasurer for reimbursement.
- Print out Maps,, Pedestrian Safety Printout, Telstra Numbers, First Aid Protocol, etc for Walkers.
- Also Print out Emergency Contact, accommodations and dietary requirements for Bus and Support Drivers, and Leader for each walk.
- Schedule Reunion and email Walkers all email addresses of their fellow walkers to remain in touch.
- Printout Thank You Certificates for all Trail providers and supporters.
- Send out feedback email (insert Word Document into email text).
- Review feedback at Committee Meeting to secure plans for next year.
- Update Registration Dates for next year.
- Book accommodation for the next year – dates and general numbers.
Ensure all walkers and Support Drivers have their Packs. Give two-way walkie talkies to Leader.
ACCOMMODATION – suggestions only.
Swanleigh – Book Huddleston House and arrange for Tea and Coffee to be provided in house. Printout rooms layout and allocate Pilgrims to rooms and send through with Pilgrims and Meal Requirements confirmation 2 weeks prior.
Peace Be Still – Advise arrange dinner menu when booking.
– Book dinner at Retreat Centre for 7.30pm (to allow Pilgrims to attend Vespers at 6.30pm), and breakfast booked for 7.30am (before 9am Mass). Request additional staff member for serving meal and packing up afterwards. Meal choice for dinner will need to be confirmed when sending through final numbers